Saturday, July 5, 2008

shanghai, day 2: frogs, peaches, lists


a poetry professor i once had at the university of chicago once told me that poets love lists. i considered myself a poet back then, and i didn't so much love lists. but once she told me that, i've found myself attached to this notion of list-loving, and find the poetic in every list i make. for example, groceries:

1. greek yogurt
2. arugula
3. soy milk

becomes a poem about the yuppiness of my current state of life.

appropriately, here's my shanghai list for today:

1. frogs in a net sold at a market alongside fish
2. going to a museum by yourself is a great thing. i should do it more in nyc.
3. fake cartier baby!
4. the big, juicy, perfect peaches sold roadside here are the perfect way to spend a day
5. hairy crab: awesome

No comments: